Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Key Lime Sunshine

I don't know if it was all the good food from father's day or what , but I was really in the mood to bake something. Since I've been talking about it for forever I decided on Key Lime pie. One of my favorite summer desserts.

It is a really simple recipe and takes no time at all to make.

Ingredients

  • 5 egg yolks, beaten (I used 4 this time)
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup key lime juice
  • 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust (I used Keebler's really cute mine gram-crusts)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Mix well. Pour into unbaked graham cracker shell.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Top with whipped topping and garnish with lime slices if desired.
separating the whites from the yolk

After mixing the yokes, lime juice, and condensed milk, I added lime zest for an extra kick


I like meringue rather than cool whip, so I beat the egg whites just like I used to see my grandmother do.

A helpful tip is to use cream of tartar to help the whites peak when you're beating them. I also used powdered sugar in the whites to sweeten them

Oven ready

just 15minutes later and a slice of lime

Key Lime Sunshine ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment