Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spring Stew

While the signs of spring are everywhere, its still cold as hell in DC... definitely not the 80 degree weather I was enjoying in Mexico. To combat the cold and get back on my cooking game I decided to make what will hopefully be my last stew for awhile.

...Besides, my bestie Jared bought me a slow cooker for Christmas and I've been dying to use it! Best gift ever!!
I've done stews plenty of times so I'm comfortable eyeballing amounts and just winging it. For anyone looking to try a stew of their own here is a recipe from allrecipes.com specifically for slow cookers

  • 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (I use soy sauce instead)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 3 potatoes, diced
  • 4 carrots, sliced
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped

Directions

  1. Place meat in slow cooker. In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
  2. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours.



before the meat goes in the slow cooker season and tenderize


Next brown the meat. I use flour but it isn't necessary. Just a few minutes on each side in the pan will do the trick


Chop the potatoes and veggies



Secret ingredient: BEER!!! I used Black and Tan by Yuengling this time, but any dark ale will do


Put everything in the pot and let it rock. 12 hour cook time :( on low if your patient, 6 hours :) on high if your ready to eat like me

Enjoy a bowl and check out the side bar for my cooking music

No comments:

Post a Comment